EFT stands for Emotional Freedom Technique. It is also referred to as “tapping”. This is because the technique involves gently tapping the fingertips on various points on the face and body. EFT is considered to be psychological acupressure, but without the needles.
The body, like everything in the universe, is composed of energy. Energy within us moves around via the Meridian channels in our bodies. Negative emotions & beliefs are usually caused by a disruption in the energy system in our bodies. They can become trapped within us. By tapping on certain points and making certain statements, relevant to the problem, the emotional blocks are cleared along the meridian pathways, which enables balance to be restored. This in turn leads to either a reduction or elimination of negative emotions or limiting beliefs.
EFT involves tapping on certain points, while you think about your specific problem. The problem could be a problem you have in life, a pain, a limiting belief, a negative emotion, or the memory of a painful event that you have experienced. All of these things are energy and that are stuck in the body.
EFT can also involve tapping whilst saying positive statements, designed the help people to insert positive beliefs into the individual’s mind, so that they can feel better and achieve their goals.
Scientific research has indicated its effectiveness for a wide variety of conditions including reductions in physical pain, anxiety, emotional stress, depression, anxiety, PTSD, food cravings/weight loss issues, insomnia, anger, phobias and more.
How can it help people?
In real terms, EFT tapping can do three things:
1) Reduces stress. It does this by sending calming messages to the amygdala in the brain, which is responsible for the fear response. The messages informs the amygdala that the situation isn’t as stressful as they think it is. Tapping also helps to reduce cortisol levels, the hormone released when people are stressed. So. as you can see there is some science behind this odd looking technique!
2) Changes limited beliefs that affect people’s behaviour and holds them back in life. People created beliefs based on painful experiences. These beliefs then get stuck in an individual’s energy system. EFT tapping can help to clear the blocked energy and with it, the belief. As beliefs determine our behaviour, once a limiting belief is cleared, the person is highly likely to behave differently. This is why EFT tapping can be very effective at stopping problematic behaviours. It clears a behaviour at the root cause, which is a belief.
3) Clear the emotional pain from memories. EFT tapping techniques can help to stop an individual from being tortured by a previous memory. An individual will still be able to remember the memory but they will feel differently about it once they have worked on the memory with a qualified and skilled EFT practitioner
The ever better news is that once people learn how to do EFT it can be employed as a self-help method. They can therefore potentially help themselves, during times of stress. However, at this point I must state that it is essential that people seek the help of an EFT practitioner, if they want to tap on traumatic memories or situations.
How it can help you
I am an EFT success coach. I focus specifically on helping people who want to be more successful in at least one areas of their lives. I know that the only reason why someone doesn’t have the success that they want is because they have a few beliefs in their subconscious mind that are holding them back. I specialise in finding and changing these beliefs. Here are some areas that people want help with:
- Weight loss
- Finding love
- Getting over a breakup
- Confidence/self love
Example: Weight loss blocks
Common beliefs that lead to overeating and therefore block weight loss are:
- If I try to lose weight I’m going to be miserable
- It’s not possible for me to lose weight at my age
- I won’t be able to cope without chocolate
Example: Money blocks
Common beliefs that lead to a lack of money in a person’s life:
- Money doesn’t grow on trees
- There is never enough money to go around
- Rich people are selfish
- Money causes problems in relationships
- It’s not possible for me to have more money
- Talking about money makes me uncomfortable
- My friends won’t like me if I have money
- I’ll have to do things I don’t want to do to get more money
All of these beliefs are caused by a persons’ earlier experiences and they are stuck in their subconscious mind. EFT tapping helps people to release others beliefs, which in turn changes what actions they take, which in turn changes their life results.
Research to Support The Effectiveness of EFT Tapping
One piece of research was undertaken by Dr. Dawson Church. His team performed a randomized controlled trial to study how an hour-long tapping session would impact the stress levels of 83 subjects. To do this, Dr. Church and his team measured their level of cortisol, a hormone secreted by the body when it undergoes stress. Their findings? The average level of cortisol reduction was 24%, with a whopping reduction of almost 50% in some subjects! In comparison, there was no significant cortisol reduction in those who underwent an hour of traditional talk therapy.
Dr. Church also created The Stress Project, which teaches tapping to war veterans suffering with PTSD. The results have been astounding: an average 63% decrease in PTSD symptoms after six sessions of tapping